Saturday 8 July 2017

The LEGO Shop In Leicester Square.

Now, I was in two minds about whether to write this post on my blog. Part of me said that LEGO isn't geeky enough to feature here. Just after Christmas last year though (Boxing Day I think but I could be wrong), there was a documentary about the new LEGO shop in Leicester Square in London. One of the people on the show has such a huge LEGO collection that he has bought a second house to store it all in. He even has labelled draws containing each type of brick. He is as much of a geek about LEGO as any one I've ever met is of Star Trek or comic books and I think he is awesome. Add to this that LEGO produce their own Star Wars, and Marvel and D.C. Superhero ranges and I think that it qualifies this post to go on this blog.


I went to the Leicester Square LEGO shop in the run up to Christmas Day last year and I can tell you that it is brilliant. It is (as I learnt on the aforementioned documentary) the biggest LEGO shop in the world. I had to queue for about ten minutes to get inside as they only allow a certain number of people in at a time so it doesn't get too crowded. While you are queuing though, you are greeted by a giant minifigure of The Queen on a Tube Train. I took a picture of it as it amused me.



There are several other London themed decorations around the shop such as this huge Elizabeth'Tower...



...complete with a naughty judge throwing a cream pie at a policeman at its base.



They also have this massive mosaic of London around the stairwell.


You can get a mosaic of yourself made from LEGO with their Mosaic Maker booth. It looks like an I.D. photo booth but after paying £99 and waiting about ten minutes, you get all the bricks and instructions needed to put together a digitised picture of yourself.



I couldn't make a blog post about LEGO without at least one LEGO Star Wars picture. This is a close up of a great set. It features the duel between Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader in the Emperor's throne room from The Return Of The Jedi. Palpatine watches on, force lightening playing between his hands. I nearly bought this kit. I just don't really have room to display it though and it is so cool that leaving it in a box would be a crime.


I seem to remember at Christmas, as a child, every year, Noel Edmonds would do some kind of Christmas special. While queuing to get in to The Lego Store, I saw the below image in the window. I don't know if the person who designed it deliberately made the minifigure look like Noel but with that beard and hair, and that jumper, for me, it couldn't be anyone else.


No comments:

Post a Comment